Why Draught Proof?
What is Draught Proofing and Why Do It?
Draught Proofing is the FIRST and most important step you can take to improve the thermal efficiency of your home. It reduces your energy use considerably and improves the thermal comfort of your home.
Many homes lose up to and in excess of 50% of heating and cooling energy to uncontrolled draughts/air leakage. When you have draughts/air leakage in your home it makes it difficult to heat and cool, it costs you a lot of money in energy bills and compromises your comfort and your health in your home.
Draught proofing is the use of many different products for different areas of your home to prevent warm air from escaping in cold weather and hot air from entering your home during summer.
Draught proofing with quality products achieves 3 primary benefits for you:
1. You are going to feel more comfortable in your home throughout all weather conditions.
2. You will save significantly on your energy costs.
3. Puts you in control of the ventilation in your home.
Draughts are uncontrolled forms of ventilation and the key to achieving the 3 primary benefits is to find and fix the air leakage in your home.
Warning: If gas is used in your home for heating or cooking please consult a professional before undertaking draught proofing works.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be lethal if your home is not adequately ventilated.
12 Key Benefits of Draught Proofing
1. Keep the inside temperature more comfortable all year round
2. Save money continuously on gas and electricity bills
3. Control the ventilation in your home
4. Help prevent some insects, creepy-crawlies from entering your home
5. Help prevent dust, smoke, pollen and pollutants from entering your home
6. Prevent windows and doors from rattling
7. Helps reduce traffic or other outside noise
8. Eliminate draughts coming down chimneys and through vents
9. Eliminate leakage from gaps and cracks
10. Improve your home’s energy rating
11. Increases the value of your home
12. Helps the environment – reduces your carbon footprint
Sealing out air leakage and insulating your home with insulation bats makes you feel so much more comfortable during Australia’s changing weather conditions.
Where to Draught Proof?
This diagram provides a good illustration of where to look and find draughts and air leakage in and out of your home.
Types of Draught Proofing?
Other areas in your home
What type of doors are in your home?
Discover how best to insulate your doors with our Guide to Doors.
If you have these types of doors in your home, we have the best solutions here.
A beautifully maintained traditional wooden house at Colac, Australia. When renovating or maintaining your home remember the importance of Draught Proofing.
If you have these types of windows in your home, these are the best solutions for them:
You and your home deserve to look good and feel good. Draught Proofing by sealing around doors and windows helps to achieve thermal comfort all year. These historic character houses in rural regional town of Bathurst NSW deserve the best quality door and window seals to maintain the look and improve the feel.
Chimneys, vents, exhaust fans, cracks and gaps
There are many other areas air can leak in and out of your home, such as:
You can Do-It-Yourself
After 20 years of retrofitting homes throughout Victoria we now want to share with you how to make these highly beneficial changes to your own home.
* It is possible, and it is easy to do-it-yourself
* We have produced informative, detailed, yet simple ‘HOW TO’ videos for our products making it easy to follow and implement these vital changes.
* We sell top quality, tried and tested, products for installation
* And, we are happy to help with our experienced after sales service
Home Improvement – DIY Benefits
1. You save a lot of money on labour costs
2. You get to choose the best products knowing we have rigorously tested all the products we sell – high quality, high performing and durable
3. You choose when to implement the changes – you don’t have to schedule your time around a Tradesperson’s time.
Our after sales services helps you along the way when and if you need it.
Home Improvement Made Easy for you to Do It Yourself
Our Technical Director, Maurice Beinat, presents informative, easy to follow, how-to instructional videos for nearly every product we sell.
You receive your FREE ‘how to’ video with products you purchase. You can easily follow the specific instructions to give you the confidence to make your home more energy efficient and thermally comfortable.
Retrofitting your home for energy efficiency not only saves on your energy costs, you are making a difference to the environment. Your inside temperature will be more comfortable all year.