Autex - Roof and Ceiling Insulation Batts (Victoria Only) - How To
Save Precious Energy with Autex Roof and Ceiling Insulation
Without effective insulation, you lose expensive heat through the ceiling in winter. In summer, your attic becomes a sauna, pushing unwanted heat down into your living spaces.
Autex roof and ceiling insulation comes in R-values of R2.5, R3.0, R3.5, R4.0 and R4.5, to suit your requirements. Note there is a 200m2 minimum order quantity for all Autex products.
Important safety notes
- 1. Check switchboard for power and light safety switches, before entering roof.
- 2. Be aware of any exposed electrical junctions you find in the roof.
- 3. Never lay batts over electrical wiring.
- 4. You can only insulate over IC4 down lights. To insulation over your downlights, they MUST have IC4 rating showing on each downlight.
- 5. If your down lights are not rated IC4 you MUST ALLOW a non-insulated radius of 200mm around the down light around your down lights.
What you will need:
- * Ladder (commercial or industrial grade)
- * Knife/blade
- * Drop sheet to protect carpet
- * Flashlight/headlamp
- * Face protection/mask to prevent dust
- * Clothes you don't mind getting dirty
- * Gloves
- * Safety glasses
- * Push stick (see video)
- * Avoid laying batts in summer, when roof space becomes dangerously hot. If the roof space is hot limit your time to a maximum of 10 minutes at a time. Early mornings are more suitable if you want to install roof insulation in hot weather.
- * Get someone to help you load material through the manhole.
- * Load all batts before you start work, to minimise ladder use.
- * Insulate manhole cover by measuring, tearing to size, and then gluing.
- * Level any existing loose fill, before laying Autex batts on top.
- * Tear sections of Autex batt to fill gaps before you start.
- * Autex batts are easy to tear in one direction, and tough as boots in the other. In the vast majority of cases, they can be torn to fit any space. If you really need to cut in the ‘indestructible’ direction, use a long snap-blade knife, press hard and cut down several times.
Hacks for Draught Dodgers
- * Can be fitted inside or outside door.
- * Fit Draught Excluder before fitting Draught Dodgers.
- * Where external doors open inward, fit Draught Dodgers on the outside.
- * Where external doors open outwards, fit Draught Dodgers on the inside.
- * Stain or paint the Draught Dodgers to merge seamlessly with existing door frame.
- * Clean door jamb before you start, for optimum adhesion.
Find Out More:
Watch our video for a step-by-step guide to safe, effective and long-lasting insulation of your roofing space.